Blog Archive

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Things I Would have Blogged About had I had a Blog at the Time:DMX on Obama

We're starting a new feature over here on Datsun Flambe: "Things I Would Have Blogged About Had I Had a Blog at the Time."

I figure there are plenty things I would have made fun of, but just didn't have the outlet. I probably made fun of these things among my circle of friends and family, but everyone in my circle of friends and family knows that they don't listen to a word I say. I'll probably do one of these a week. It'll be a limited feature as I imagine there is a finite number of these. I mean, I won't go back to the Civil War and blog about how the North is losing this thing if they don't change course. I also won't blog about that crazy New England writer who's living in the woods as a stunt to sell more books. I'll just comment on recent history. I mean after the Don Imus called the Rutgers women's basketball team nappy-headed hoes, I had a joke that the whole situation was unfair considering the fact that the women said they were going to celebrate their victory by not combing their hair and sleeping with lots of guys. I started to compose a short essay around the joke, but then Imus resigned, making my joke obsolete. I probably won't revisit that on TIWHBAHIHABATT, because I just did.

So this one that follows was supposed to be my first blog post, but I never got around to posting it. My actual first post didn't arrive until like two months later.


So here it is: DMX on Obama. From XXL Magazine, March 14 2008. Who says Rappers are ignorant?

Are you following the presidential race?
Not at all.

You’re not? You know there’s a Black guy running, Barack Obama and then there’s Hillary Clinton.
His name is Barack?!

Barack Obama, yeah.

Barack?!

Barack.
What the fuck is a Barack?! Barack Obama. Where he from, Africa?

Yeah, his dad is from Kenya.
Barack Obama?

Yeah.
What the fuck?! That ain’t no fuckin’ name, yo. That ain’t that nigga’s name. You can’t be serious. Barack Obama. Get the fuck outta here.

You’re telling me you haven’t heard about him before.
I ain’t really paying much attention.

I mean, it’s pretty big if a Black…
Wow, Barack! The nigga’s name is Barack. Barack? Nigga named Barack Obama. What the fuck, man?! Is he serious? That ain’t his fuckin’ name. Ima tell this nigga when I see him, “Stop that bullshit. Stop that bullshit” [laughs] “That ain’t your fuckin’ name.” Your momma ain’t name you no damn Barack.



Full Interview: Here I Stand

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't he--man, he had to have been sarcastic. I don't believe he was being straight. Like the rest of the interview, he doesn't listen to anyone else, never likes any new rappers . . . It's like kids who hear you but don't want to acknowledge that they heard you so they say, "huh?" to give themselves the power of making you repeat yourself. Dumb attitude though. Good thing he did a gospel album. I feel the Holy Spirit.

Sleep happy.

Anonymous said...

just then posting anonymously lost its appeal...

feelintalibkweliyaheard said...

yeah this interview was pretty hillarious. i would love to enter a sweepstakes to spend a day with dmx.

on days he's on medication. obviously.

getatmedawg said...

dmx is probably one of the greatest rappers who ever touched the mic.

i especially enjoyed him in any acting role.

Rion Amilcar Scott said...

Yeah, between Nas' mumbling and DMX's growling, Belly was a helluva movie.

I'll be first in line for that gospel record. It'll be the first gospel album where Jesus is packing a gat and smoking blunts.

Anonymous said...

Huh?