Blog Archive

Friday, August 22, 2008

David Sherman Went Over Well

Last night's reading was a real success. I was nervous up until the moment I read and my planned banter in the beginning was a bit awkward, but once the reading started everyone laughed at the right moments. I wasn't sure what I was going to read. I planned to read a chapter of my novel-in-progress (Chapter title: "David Sherman, the Last Son of God"), but it's long so I was upset that I couldn't read the whole thing. I got the idea to read nine pages from that chapter and 4 pages from the first chapter. I kept going back and forth in my head until the moment I took the mic and in the end I went for a single effect. Short and powerful.

I read about nine pages of the 28 page chapter. People thought the ending was all there was to it, but considering it's part of a novel there is a whole lot more. I've heard of people writing whole novels and throwing most of it away so that all that's left is a short story. Imagine writing 600-plus pages just to get 10 usable pages. I hope that never happens to me.

I planned to videotape the whole thing and post it here, but wouldn't you know it, my bird forgot the camcorder. Blame her.

I was preceded by poets....Kate Schapira had a good one exploring similes and metaphor as a concept....I though there was wisdom in that poem. Jibade Khalil Huffman read these 14 interconnected sonnets and the last line of the last poem of his set was, "Go Fuck Yourself."

There was also a singer, Rocky Jones. I thought he had a great voice and sang with a lot of pain.

Check out www.cherylsgone.com for next month's scheduled reading. Should be some interesting people.

Peace

2 comments:

ryan call said...

good work rion,

truly sorry i missed it

ain'tachickenbutmygunstaycock said...

definitely enjoyed the piece you did. by far my favorite...

i want more.

the other poets/musicians must read your blog. for you are too kind.