Blog Archive

Sunday, October 5, 2008

What do you do to block out the world?

Back in 2002 when I was attempting to write a novel for the first time (really the second time) a friend suggested that if I wrote two pages a day I'd have 730 pages by the end of the year. Sounds logical enough, but some days one just doesn't have two pages in him. Most days. Like Friday and Saturday.

Friday, I left work with some excitement as I figured I'd spend all afternoon working on This-Novel-That-Might-Never-Be-Published. I was so exhausted from the week that I fell asleep and when I woke, no words were coming. I kept thinking of all these things; problems that need to be solved and problems that I have no way of solving.

The section that was on required me to get into the mind of a 14-year-old girl. Last time I tried to get into the mind of a 14-year-old girl, back when I was a 14-year-old boy, I wasn't very successful. Friday took me back to that time. Saturday was pretty much the same thing.

My last revelation of everything was, if you remember, that a strategy for writing should be incorporating the written word into the small quiet moments between other things.

Much easier said than done.

What I've found is that the mind won't write fiction when it is on other stressful things. Can't remember when I had so many things going through my head; so many problems to solve. I'm not complaining (I was on Saturday). I had the least stressful couple of months that I've ever had. I figure I'm due. My dad mentioned how hard it was for him to switch gears from handling criminal cases to handling patent work.

My bird and I took some time Sunday, after a bunch of time-wasting, to sit and write. She working on an article, me on TNTMNBP. I was able to write a couple scenes and that was good....Sunday was better than Friday and Saturday.

But my question to y'all is what do you do to block out the real world, so that the fictional world can come in?

Meditation? Never been able to still the mind. I know some people that drink or smoke while writing in order to get into a different state of mind. I've done the drinking thing and will probably do it again, but it's not something I can or want to do on a regular basis. Do you walk? Run? (Running is stupid). Music?

So yeah, how do you get your mind off all the stress and onto the important things?

3 comments:

ryan call said...

if running is stupid, then your acronym 'TNTMNBP' is stupid.

i like drinking.

Rion Amilcar Scott said...

Yeah, tntmnbp is stupid

ryan call said...

haha