Blog Archive

Friday, January 21, 2011

100 Books: Outliers

This 100 books thing is going well already. Finished Malcom Gladwell's Outliers. At my day job we decided that students would be reading this book this semester. So I dug into this one, halting some of the other books I've been reading.

Glad(well) I did. In this book, the author talks about some of the hidden breaks that hurt or hinder our success. The idea that resonated the most is that it takes about 10,000 hours to master a craft. The Beatles left Liverpool for Hamburg a ragtag bunch of musicians and came back as....well, The Beatles. What happened in Hamburg? They got a gig playing 8 hours a day at a strip club. This amounted to about 10,000 hours of practice.

With that said, I'll catch you clowns later. I'm going to write fiction for the rest of the night. Gotta put in my 10,000 hours.

Currently working on: This Naipaul bio I found in my dad's basement: The World is What it is, this McSweeny's humor anthology and Man Gone Down. I guess I'm also re-reading Winesburg, Ohio.

No comments: