Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

100 Books

I was supposed to read 100 books in 2010. An arbitrarily chosen number that sounds impressive. Anyway, I didn't come close to that number so I have nothing to brag about. If you count children's books, maybe I...no, no still far from 100.  I don't know how many I read. I stopped counting when it became clear that I wouldn't hit the mark.

My greatest reading feat was when I read all of August Wilson's plays in one month. That was many years ago. I was a better person then. I remember that guy. I liked him.

I spent way too much time trying to read Midnight, Sister Souljah's boring sequel to the very exciting The Coldest Winter Ever. Good thing I didn't pay for that book. Usually when I stop reading a book, I blame myself and vow to return to it. Not this time. She loads it down with irrelevant and dull detail. It's subtitled a Gangster Love Story. Too much love and not enough Gangster. I suppose there is action at the end, but she lost me. I picked it up for light and fun entertainment to transition me from the hectic spring semester to the summer, but it was like a drag everyday to get into. So I blame missing my goal on Sister Souljah. No, I had long since lost the battle by then.

I started Lolita, but didn't finish it. This one I enjoyed immensely. Still reading it. (I'm counting it for 2011 when I finish it dammit). I suppose the highlight was Alberto Fuguet's Shorts. A collection of stories, some connected, most not. Many were absolutely devastating. Ever have the feeling when reading a book that you picked it up just at the right time? That the things in the book spoke exactly to how you are feeling at that particular moment? There's probably a lot of bullshit in that feeling, but I won't examine it because the feeling is too magical. Fuguet more than made up for my Sister Souljah moment. Reading is saved.

So in 2011, again, I will attempt to read 100 books. I purposely didn't start Michael Thomas's Man Gone Down until Jan. 1. Also, over my break I plan to tackle Young Mandela by David James Smith and Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Probaby throw a story collection in there too. Anything I should read? Anything you plan to read? Wish me luck. Will let you know how it's going. Peace.

3 comments:

Rochelle Spencer said...

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on "Man Gone Down." I didn't care for Thomas's statements upon winning the Dublin Literary Award, but I'm curious to read the book. So again, keep us updated.

Rion Amilcar Scott said...

Hi Rochelle,

I didn't read Thomas's statements upon winning the award. Do you have a link to them?

Rion Amilcar Scott said...

Rochelle,

Do you mean from the Times article or from his speech upon reception?