Blog Archive

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Saturday Morning Cartoons: Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs

The old Warner Brothers cartoons could be damned hateful. This one, "Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarfs," is of the Banned Eleven, cartoons so racist they've been taken out of circulation by the company. This one enjoys a good reputation on aesthetic grounds. As a kid I noticed the hateful portrayals of blacks, native americans, asians--particularly Japanese--and on and on in these cartoons. I laughed at what I could--I loved Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck--but I've always wondered what was going through the heads of these animators. One of my older brothers tells me that could never stand Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies cartoons because of caricatures. I think you can find most of the 11 online.


Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs -1942 by redhotjazz

No comments: