Blog Archive

Monday, July 25, 2011

Monday Music: RIP Amy Winehouse

Club 27. Chasing death ate up Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and bunch of others at the age of 27. Now it's claimed Amy Winehouse.

I first heard her on Ghostface Killah's Fishscales album. I was on Wisconsin Avenue in DC, coming back from Best Buy where I bought the CD. He seemed to be rapping over an amazing 60's soul sample. I like to find the sources of samples. Many times you'll find great songs that never became popular across generations.

Shock of all shocks, it wasn't a 60s soul sample, but new vocals by a new artist. She wasn't old. She just could express a lifetime of pain at a young age.

What kind of fuckery is this?

She's white? And British.

I forgot about the Ghostface version and sought out more of her music. Back to Black was a bluesy boozy masterpiece. She laughed at her addictions. Told rehab no, no, no....

Blah, blah, blah...she spiraled and we watched hoping she'd give us more music. We all know the story. I'm going to stop writing now. Everything I'm typing seems false next to the realness of her music.

RIP


The DL - Amy Winehouse Valerie Live by Dagoba54





No comments: